Nell | Teen Ink

Nell MAG

By Anonymous

   Nell tells the story of a so-called "wild child" (played by Jodie Foster) who is discovered and forced to face the outside world. Nell has never left her home in the Appalachian Mountains where she lives without electricity or running water. She speaks her own, hard-to-understand version of English. When a doctor (Liam Neeson) discovers her, he is determined to protect her from the courts and medical establishment that want to take her away and conduct experiments on her. However, a researcher (Natasha Richardson) eventually convinces him that they must take her to a safer place where the media cannot find her and ruin her quiet life of solitude.

Jodie Foster does an outstanding job of playing Nell. She portrays her as a believable person who has genuine feelings and a good life which others are trying to ruin. Although Foster is definitely the star, all the acting is wonderful. The great acting helps make this a powerful movie. Although much of this movie has a sad tone, there are parts with a lighter note. At times, the plot seems predictable, but on the whole it is good.

The three words which best describe this movie are: tear-jerker, intense, and dramatic. If that sounds like the kind of movie you like, then I recommend it. If you are looking for a light-hearted comedy or barbaric thriller, look elsewhere. .