Little Women | Teen Ink

Little Women MAG

After her successes with "Beetlejuice," "Mermaids, "Edward Scissorhands," "Bram Stoker's Dracula," and "Reality Bites," it didn't surprise me to see Winona Ryder come together with so many talented actors, and create a truly extraordinary rendition of the book Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

The movie begins in Concord, Massachu-setts during the 19th Century. The March family is preparing for Christmas without their father, who is off at war. Money is tight, and Marmee (Mrs. March), as she is called by her daughters, is trying to make do with what she has, even though the family encounters many obstacles. The girls are very upset about celebrating a Christmas without their father and without any gifts. They spend a great deal of their time in the attic putting on plays and reading their self-created newspaper, The Pickwick Society. At first, their little "group" was only the four sisters Jo, Amy, Beth, and Meg, but they, in time, let the "strange," rich boy from next door (who becomes Jo's best friend, and one of the sister's future husband) in on their passion.

Ryder is the star of this movie. She portrays the rambunctious Jo March, the second oldest daughter, who is destined to become a famous writer. But everything she does from shaking hands and eating too much at dinner (according to her older sister Meg), is considered improper. Claire Danes plays the role of Beth March, second youngest daughter and brings sensitivity to the film, while Samantha Mathis takes over the role of Amy March, the youngest daughter, for Kirsten Dunst after a time warp of four years. Susan Sarandon plays Marmee March, the smart, caring, wise mother of the girls.

This is definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen, like the book, it's destined to become a classic. Viewing Little Women is one of the best ways to spend one hour and 55 minutes of

your life. .