The Wind Rises Review | Teen Ink

The Wind Rises Review

By FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California

The new and possibly final film for one of the greatest animators of all time, Hayao Miyazakis' The Wind Rises was released on a very limited bases in the U.S. But despite the very limited release, the film was able to be sold out in the showings that I attended. Here, Hayao Miyazaki showcased why he is one of the greatest animators, as well as delivering his most mature film in his incredible career (NOTE: The Review will be for the English dubbed, as I have yet to see the Japanese version of the film). Nominated for the 86th Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, here is the review for The Wind Rises.

The Wind Rises is a highly fictionalized biopic based on the famous Japanese aircraft designer Jiro Horikoshi, who has always dreamed of flying and building beautiful airplanes. This film chronicles his life, depicting many historical events in Japan, as well as his relationship with the ill-fated Naoko Satomi. His biggest task awaits him, as he must design the Japanese fighter planes used during World War II.

Out of all the films that Hayao Miyazaki has ever made, this film is the most mature film in his career, as he steps away from the brilliant fantasy elements from his previous work. The Wind Rises is the most difficult film, as he has to find a way for the audience to relate to a man responsible for the aircraft that was used during World War II, which resulted in many lives and family being torn apart. However, in pure Hayao Miyazaki fashion, he was able to pull it off.

That is because unlike many war films, this film does not show as a propaganda piece. It instead focuses on showing of these man who do not care for war. The men involved in creating airplanes were depicted as men who just wanted to create beautiful airplanes. Miyazaki did not favor any sides. Instead, he shows that war is not one that should be celebrated. The characters in the film feel the prensence in creating planes for war and destruction. But they are not doing it in order for war, but because they want to create planes in enjoyment. However, war sets a vital importance to our protagonist Jiro Horikoshi.

Jiro Horikoshi was a man who just had this dream of creating airplanes. But with that in mind, Miyakazi is able to deliver two very incredible messages about dreams. Jiro's dream of creating beautiful airplanes came with a huge price of him being responsible to creating the planes for World War II(which lead to Pearl Harbor). One message is that when you maintain a dream since a child, you see aspects in your life similiar to your dream. Horikoshi sees everyday aspect and how it can relate to your dream. The same can be said to me and film,, as I see film in everyday aspect. It shows how dreams as a child can influence you in your later life if you continue to fight to obtain that dream.

The second message, however, strives into a much cruder and darker tone in that sometimes creating your dreams may come on a heavier consequences. The main protagonist in the film can be seen by some as someone responsible for many deaths. However, this is not Miyazaki's purpose in the film, as he wants to tell a story about a man who wants and harnest a dream and maintain it in his later years. This is how Hayao Miyazaki is able to make the audience relate to the main protagonist. The main aspect of the film is to relate to Jiro Horikoshi, and the dreams he has as a kid. There is no political agenda in the film. Just a beautiful story about a man with a dream, and how hard he works to achieve it.

One other thing that should be mentioned in this film is the relationship between Jiro Horikoshi and Naoki Satomi, which is another one of the film's focus.Thier relationship is one of the most heartbreaking and sweetest relationship I can think of in an animated film. Hayao Miyazaki is able to show us a very realistic approach to the relationship, one that is mostly consumed with love and trust with one another. There is this very strong scene in the film that had most of the audience connected with the relationship. The relationship also served the level of maturity that Hayao Miyazaki has shown in many of his recent films.

Which brings me to the writer and director of the film, as well as one of the greatest animators of all time, Hayao Miyazaki. His release of The Wind Rises could possibly mark his farewell from cinema, and what a wonderful send off this film is. The Wind Rises is easily his most mature film, as he is able to skew away from the fantasy elements found in his other film. This film also is able to tackle historical events from Japan, educating the American audience. This is one of the most different films that Hayao Miyazaki was able to make. But despite the mature themes and loss of fantasy element, it still has the Miyazaki genius that he puts in his other films. The film is dazzled with brilliant animation, fantastical shots, great messages, brilliant storytelling, and lastly, excellent, well-developed characters.

What I'm about to say doesn't effect the score, but must be said. When I went to see the film, at one of the 4 theaters showing in my city, the room was sold out. All seats were taken. The support for the film was phenominal. The audience was respectful, and the presence of that the audience were watching Hayao Miyazaki's final film, was felt. The best came out the end. The movie was over, the credits were rolling, but nobody left the movie theater. It wasn't until the very end, when the words, "The End" showed, when people stood up, and gave the film a standing ovation. The sensation was one of the best, as they knew that this was one of the greatest directors of all time final farewell to his fans. This film, like other Miyazaki films, are shown in limited showings because they are a treat. His films don't have to be shown in America (like his earlier works weren;t), but us fans are grateful that they are. Otherwise, we would have never seen a Hayao Miyazaki's excellent work at the big screen. Thank you for giving us that opportunity.

Thank you Hayao Miyazaki for being not only one of the greatest animators, but also one of the greatest directors of all time. One of the great things about your career was the diversity in genre that are present. Yet each of them are shown with excellent animation, brillaint story telling, incredible caracters, but most importantly, the passion that goes through the process of your films. Every film that you made was put with sincere effort and presision, and that is why we thank you. Thank you for changing the world of Animation, delivering classics such as My Neighbor Totoro, Catstle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and especially with your masterpiece Spirited Away. Your final film, The Wind Rises, has joined in the barrel of what I consider Miyazaki greatness. Thank you for the incredible career. You have changed the industry forever.

The Wind Rises is a bittersweet swan song for the life and career of Hayao Miyazaki. Serving as his most unique and mature film, The Wind Rises is able to deliver beautiful animation, incredible messages of dreams, as well as a war film without propaganda and political agenda, a very realistic romance, and incredible characters. The Wind Rises is an incredible send off to Hayao Miyazaki, it is one of the best films of the year so far (2013 for Japan, but 2014 for U.S.), and this film deserves the AWESOMETACULAR rating.

The Wind Rises is a bittersweet swan song for the life and career of Hayao Miyazaki. Serving as his most unique and mature film, The Wind Rises is able to deliver beautiful animation, incredible messages of dreams, as well as a war film without propaganda and political agenda, a very realistic romance, and incredible characters. The Wind Rises is an incredible send off to Hayao Miyazaki, it is one of the best films of the year so far, and this film deserves the AWESOMETACULAR rating.