Miyazaki's Legacy and Final Film | Teen Ink

Miyazaki's Legacy and Final Film

March 2, 2014
By claireaffair SILVER, McDonough, Georgia
claireaffair SILVER, McDonough, Georgia
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I’ve never had an original thought in my life…and there’s tons of people on the internet happy to tell me just that.” -Shepard Fairey (Creator of OBEY Propaganda)

"The duty of the youth is to challenge corruption." -Kurt Cobain


Hayao Miyazaki may not be a household name; however, his animation films and production company, Studio Ghibli, are well known and have revolutionized the animation world. The 73-year-old filmmaker has been dubbed the Steven Spielberg of animation and the Walt Disney of Japan. He has written, directed, and/or produced over 26 films. His most famous work, Spirited Away, has won 22 awards and nominations and his films on average earn twice the awards as the average animation movie. Miyazaki has been impressing adult and children alike with detailed plotlines, beautiful animation, and unforgettable characters for 34 years.

Studio Ghibli films venture away from the typical good versus evil story line; Miyazaki’s films are known for their prominence of feminism and advocacy of pacifism. His most notable film Spirited Away’s main character is a selfish and spoiled young girl who is faces trials that teach her to be brave and independent. In Howl’s Moving Castle the setting is post apocalyptic and suggests the importance of environmental awareness. In addition, the theme “love is blind” proves to be true when the main character falls in love with someone who is feared and ostracized by society.
His latest film The Wind Rises was released in the US in select theatres on February 21st and will have an expanded release the following week. Miyazaki released to the press that this is most likely his last film. If The Wind Rises does prove to be Miyazaki’s last masterpiece, critics agree that he has exited the scene just as gracefully as he entered in 1980. Anime fans around the world are in mourning in response to the saddening reports; however, Studio Ghibli films are sure to live on even after Miyazaki’s retirement.