Forget Paris | Teen Ink

Forget Paris MAG

Now on video, Forget Paris is the very funny yet surprisingly sad story of how two people meet, become a couple and then have many struggles in their relationship.

Billy Crystal stars as Mickey, an NBA referee with a big mouth. After ejecting Kareem Abdul-Jabbar from his farewell NBA basketball game, Mickey learns of the death of his father (whom he hated). Feeling a moral obligation to his family, Mickey undertakes the arduous task of accompanying his father's body to France where he wished to be buried. (All his war buddies from World War II were buried there.)

When Mickey arrives in France, however, he finds that his father's body has accidentally been transported to another country and he will have to wait until it is located and brought back. It is at this time that Mickey meets Ellen (Debra Winger), an airline executive. After Ellen goes with Mickey to his father's funeral, a romance begins to blossom. Happy as can be, Mickey and Ellen soon split (the NBA season has begun), but they promise to write. When Mickey finally goes to sees her, they fall in love (again) and Ellen comes to live with him in Los Angeles.

Told from the point of view of Mickey's best friend (Joe Mantegna) to his fianc"e (Julie Newmar), Forget Paris is set in a New York restaurant. The full story of Mickey and Ellen's relationship, with all its struggles, happiness and everything in-between, is narrated first by Mantegna and then by two other couples, Richard Masur (My Girl) and Julie Kavner (known to most as the voice of Marge on The Simpsons) and Jack and the "second Mrs. Jack" (Cathy Moriaty). Never letting up on laughs, Forget Paris is also very sad when Mickey and Ellen have their many fights.

The role of Mickey seems tailor-made for Crystal and Winger is cute and believable as Ellen, while the rest of the cast give contrasting yet decent performances. Full of NBA stars and beautiful shots of Paris, Forget Paris is always interesting. What carries this film is the laughs, however, which is where Crystal, Winger and the rest come through big-time: the audience never stops laughing. Forget Paris is a riot

on Mar. 30 2012 at 8:43 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

I loved Forget Paris~ At first I was tempted to watch it after I saw When Harry Met Sally. But this was a unique love story in a class of its own. Even though Mickey and Ellen meet in Paris and have a worldwind romance, that's only for a short time and they face challenges after the honeymoon period. We get to see the period after the happily ever after. Over the span of five years, we Mickey and Ellen fall apart and make up, struggling to overcome the challenges life throws at them. This movie was fantastic~