The Bird Cage This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The new hit movie, The Birdcage, is a huge success. The theaters are packed. Its success is well deserved. It is a well thought-out comedy that has a crazy twist.

Robin Williams, as Armond, isn't his usual wisecracking, humorous self, instead he plays more of a supporting role. Nathan Lane, however, steals the show as Albert, a very convincing effeminate male who is Robin Williams' partner. Gene Hackman plays a straight, right-wing politician with Dianne Wiest as is his complacent and agreeable wife.

The gay couple own a drag club called the Birdcage. The plot thickens when Armond's son, Val, comes home and announces that he is getting married. He tells his father that the two familias have to meet. Seeing the actions of his father and Albert, Val knows it will be hard for the two gays to act straight. So, Albert dresses in drag and poses as Val's mom. However, the whole plan is spoiled. After all the pandemonium, the couple still finds a way to overcome the obstacles and marry.

The duo of Williams and Lane definitely make the movie a smash. With Lane as an amazing housewife and Williams giving a perfect impression of a gay trying to act straight. Diane Wiest and Gene Hackman couldn't have done a better job as the couple who do everything by the book. Right off the bat the movie had me laughing until my sides hurt.

I'm sure you'll like this witty remake of the French "La Cage aux Folles," and I recommend it for anyone who's in the mood for a good laugh

Future_Worlder said...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:53 am
best robin willams movie ever! one for the books! kids will be watching this film for years to come!

LondonEye This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is possibly my favourite movie, and the play is phenomenal as well. You have good taste!