Mr. Smith Goes to Washington | Teen Ink

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

By JocelynV GOLD, Castle Rock, Colorado
JocelynV GOLD, Castle Rock, Colorado

Frank Capra’s Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is a memorable classic film about a man’s journey through his new life as a politician, when his goal for a National Boys’ camp interferes with the devious plans of his fellow senator Joseph Paine(Claude Rains), and the state political boss, Jim Taylor (Edward Arnold). Jefferson Smith (James Stewart) is an ordinary man, who wants to make a difference, yet is overpowered by deceitful politicians who are intent on using their political power for their own benefit. As Mr. Smith proposes a bill to enable a government loan to buy land in for a national boys’ camp, to be compensated by the children across the US. Donations come immediately, yet the proposed land is already part of the graft scheme proposed by John taylor, and supported by Joseph paine. Taylor uses Paine in his plot to accuse Smith of using the National camp bill for his own benefit, and gives duplicitous evidence that Mr. Smith owns the land in the bill. Too flabbergasted by Paine’s accusation to defend himself, Smith runs away from the scene. When Mr. Smith begins to think all hope is lost, his secretary, Clarissa Saunders (Jean Arthur) encourages him to keep going, and talks him into giving a filibuster to delay the bill proposed by Jim Taylor and Joseph Paine.
This film has been around for about 60 years, and still holds top spot for washington correlated-movie. This movie has made today’s people more contemptuous about politicians and our government. While watching this movie, I was definitely kept on edge, wondering what would happen, and it was enthralling. Capra’s choice of casting was phenomenal, not to mention how well the political process was portrayed in the film. During the finale, the audience will be captivated by the emotion and passion, that stewart illustrates in his character as jefferson Smith. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is a riveting story containing the struggle between good and evil, with the moral idea of never giving up. Predominantly, the movie in general is remarkable. The picture is impeccable, with thought-provoking views, wit, and an excellent cinematography.