Strictly Ballroom | Teen Ink

Strictly Ballroom MAG

By Anonymous

   This movie provides some humorous insight into the little- known world of Australian ballroom dancing. With colorful characters and eye-catching costumes I found it fun and interesting to watch. It is made even more unique because it is a very bizarre film, but very enjoyable and little known. It is directed by Baz Luhrmann, who just recently came out with a modern version of Romeo and Juliet.

This story is about Scott Hastings (Paul Mercurio), a man who has it all - looks, fame, talent, and a beautiful dancing partner named Liz. Sadly Liz decides to ditch him after he blows a major competition. It seems that he had actually improvised a few dance steps which is strictly against the rules. Scott then joins up with Fran (Tara Morice), an unknown beginner who believes in him and only wants a chance. Their goal is to dance the way their hearts tell them, the way they want, with their own steps. Along the way they face opposition from judges, Scott's mother, and the rules which frown against anything except strict and straight ballroom dancing.

The finale of the movie occurs at a very prestigious dance competition. Here Scott and Fran must make the decision whether to risk their future and go against the rules or dance the way the federation tells them to. Of course, they end up following their hearts and their new style of dance is accepted and praised. At the end everyone jumps on the dance floor and gives it a whirl.

Besides the wonderful main characters, the supporting cast should also be commended. Doing an especially excellent job are Scott's mother (Pat Thompson) and Liz (Gia Carides). Their actions and words present many opportunities for a laugh.

Overall, "Strictly Ballroom" is a very refreshing film and I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen a good movie lately. It has all the characteristics a well-made movie should: humor, fun, music, dancing, emotions and love