To Kill a Mockingbird | Teen Ink

To Kill a Mockingbird

February 20, 2014
By Jonathan12345 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Jonathan12345 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
A day without sunshine is like night


When I first started watching the “To Kill a Mockingbird” movie, I thought it was going to be a disappointment. A book that was great and had me thinking about it for days, even weeks after I finished it, turned into a movie? How could this movie ever be good? But soon after I started watching it, I realized that it had potential. Sure, there was no way that they could fit all several hundred pages of the book into it, but it was able to get enough of the detail in to make it into a great movie.
One thing that made this movie great was acting. The directors were able to get a great cast together, including Gregory Peck (who went on the win an Oscar for best actor for his work in this movie) and Robert Duvall (who went on to have a major role in “The Godfather”). Even the actors for Scout and Jem portrayed their characters very well. The plot followed the book very well. As I said earlier they could not fit all of the details from the book that really made the book as incredible as it was. It still had a lot. The story focuses on a local court case about a black man “taking advantage” of a white woman. Jem and Scout’s Dad is a lawyer who is assigned to represent the man. All of this happens during the 1930’s when equal rights were not established. Jem and Scout have to live with people telling them that their Dad is a terrible man. When the trial finally comes along, the tension is very high between the local white’s and black’s over the court case. the movie captures all of this for an amazing edition of To Kill a Mockingbird.
I found “To Kill a Mockingbird” to be well directed, fun to watch, and have a good amount of high intense scenes. If you can get past the old time black & white fact, you should definitely watch this movie. After, an incredible opening, rising action, climax, and falling action, the ending was almost disappointing. I’m not saying it was bad, because it was not, but I wanted more from it. The movie wrapped up incredibly well, answering all of the questions that it ever brought up. It ended very suddenly though. I thought that it could have gone on for longer. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favorite movies and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.


The author's comments:
I enjoyed it.