Forrest Gump | Teen Ink

Forrest Gump

By Arliegh12 BRONZE, Littleton Colorado, Colorado
Arliegh12 BRONZE, Littleton Colorado, Colorado

Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that generation.

“My momma always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.’” As Forrest Gump says offering out a chocolate waiting for bus number 9.

Tom Hanks portrays Forrest Gump. A man caught up in the scary reality filled world. Hanks performance in Forrest Gump sky rocketed his career winning best actor at the 1995 academy awards. The film also went on to win best picture, best director, best effects, and best adapted screenplay. His performance will always leave a place in the audiences heart. Forrest Gump is a timeless tale that will never be old or outdated and his story lives on through generation to generation.

Narrated by Forrest, he shares his childhood life and the struggle with his legs braces, how no one thought he would ever amount to anything, his new unexpected friendships, his time in Vietnam, playing college football, his promise to open a shrimp boat, and his talent at ping pong. This movie takes viewers on not only an adventure through his life, but also through history. Authentic footage with Forrest edited in, captivates the time era and that point in history. Like sitting with music legend John Lennon, shaking the presidents hand, watching the watergate scandal unfold, or seeing Elvis Presley be inspired by Forrest and his dance moves. Forrest teaches the emotions of life, through the good, the bad, and everything else in between. It’s a roller coaster of emotions that causes laughter, smiling because of Forrest’s inspiration and courage, and always leaves a tear in the corner of your eye. Forrest teaches you that friends will come and go, but the true ones stay. That sometimes, courage is needed in the scariest hardest times. That nothing will ever compare, nothing else matters more than the people you love. The past is in the past. Forrest Gump captivates that everything in life happens for a reason, that people in your life will come and go but they will always be with you. And when things get bad, “sometimes you just need to run”.