Pulp Fictions | Teen Ink

Pulp Fictions

By 2004807 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
2004807 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

Pulp Fiction

pulp /'pelp/ n. 1. A soft, moist, shapeless mass of matter.
2. A magazine or book containing lurid subject matter and being characteristically printed on rough, unfinished paper. American Heritage Dict. New College Edition
Some people like pulp in their orange juice, others can't stand it, and some prefer a little John Travolta with a bit of Bruce Willis in a glass with Samuel L. Jackson and Quentin Tarantino on a plate next to some toast and scrambled eggs. Pulp Fiction has the perfect combination of experienced and intriguing acting, suspenseful story lines, and witty humor every film lover should enjoy. It is one of the hardest stories to follow if you're not paying attention, but one of the best if you put your phone away, and focus on the masterpiece before you. Quentin Tarantino is a genius behind and in front of the camera; his creation of tension building scenes adds to the tone of the film and draws the viewer in. The small errors left uncorrected showcase his stylistic expressions as a director and acts as a test to the audience. The constant use of vulgar language prove how Tarantino feels about words and demonstrate the idea that they only have meaning if we let them, something I've always appreciated.
The drugs and violent story line can be a bit excessive, but it's addressed in such a way that can be tasteful while still maintaining its strong and intimidating presence. Pulp Fiction is definitely not the film to be watching with your little brother on Friday night. It's more of a "I'm feeling rebellious and don't care" kind of movie. It can be entrancing to be exposed to drugs in such a way and is dangerous and educational at the same time.
The storyline itself is in sequential, and confusing as it's constantly changing and jumping around, but it creates the suspension the film feeds off and provides the perfect opportunity for a grand ending in which everything connects. No matter how many times I watch it, I always get excited when it all lies out and the connections become evident. It's liberating to watch and try to follow what's going on while appreciating the honesty and charisma created by the cast. Realistic details often ignored in films, are addressed by the characters up front with a dry sense of humor and unique interpretation by the actors. Tarantino creates such an elaborate design with the personalities of his characters that were brought to life by the talented actors. The character interaction is what ties this film together and it's one of the best casts encountered. My motto is, "if it has Bruce Willis, it can't be bad."
Only watching Pulp Fiction once and having hated it, I honestly liked it far better the second time around. The first viewing was interrupted and I missed quite a bit of the humor I now praise. This film requires total attention to detail and story or the entire purpose is missed. It has the capability to make one think about certain things in a new light and open your mind, but only if you let it.