Mother | Teen Ink

Mother MAG

By Anonymous

   Director Albert Brooks not only directed "Mother," but co-authored the script, along with Monica Johnson. "Mother" is a wonderful tale of a 43-year-old son who returns to his childhood home and actually moves back into his childhood room. He recreates his room so it looks exactly as it did 30 years before, much to the dismay of his now-very-independent mother.

Brooks plays John Henderson, who is a twice-divorced, science-fiction writer. He is about as successful at writing as he is at marriage. He believes if he can get himself back to where he started, it will help him figure out where he went wrong. A series of hysterical scenes ensue where he and his mother, played wonderfully by Debbie Reynolds, clash on everything from deciding where to park to choosing an expensive versus no-name peanut butter.

Reynolds is perfect as Brooks mother, she is so natural she does not even appear to be acting. It is hard to believe that they are not really mother and son. Also thrown in, (to make Brooks look even worse) is a brother, played by Rob Morrow, who is successful and married with children. It is obvious he can do no wrong in mother's eyes, whereas Brooks can do nothing right. The two go head-to-head in a number of scenes like they did when they were young.

Eventually John and his mother come to see each other in a different light and discover things about each other they had never known. They find a new respect for each other and Brooks resolves all of his emotional issues. This is a wonderful movie for people of all ages and definitely a must-see for anyone with a mother.