The Stupids This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Never let your parents rent a video for you without your supervision. Last week my parents came home with "The Stupids." They said, "Oh, let's just give it a chance." My advice is: don't listen to parents.

I'm not sure whether the title was referring to the people who made the movie or the audience the movie was trying to attract. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out why this movie was made in the first place. Tom Arnold can be very good ("True Lies" or "Nine Months"). Why Arnold would risk his career making this movie baffles me.

Apparently, this movie was trying for the same audience as "Dumb and Dumber." However, there is a major difference between these two movies: "Dumb and Dumber" is funny. "The Stupids" just doesn't make any sense.

Even worse is that they try to include a plot in the movie. Apparently, some officer from the army is attempting to sell arms to organized crime bosses, and Tom Arnold's character thwarts his plans. The officer then decides that Tom Arnold is a secret agent, which doesn't make any sense. In fact, this movie didn't make any sense. It amazes me that there are so many movies that make you ask the question, "What were they thinking?"

The next night my parents came home with "Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves." I just went to bed.