Starship Troopers | Teen Ink

Starship Troopers MAG

I recently saw "Starship Troopers," a fast-paced science fiction movie filled with action. The story is set in the future where citizenship is a privilege, not a right. To gain citizenship you must serve at least two years in the Colonial Marines. The main character, Rico, is old enough to make the decision whether or not to join the military to gain citizenship. Of course, to make things more interesting Rico's girlfriend announces that she is joining. Rico joins the Mobile Infantry, the lowest form of troopers, who do the dirty work, like fighting. There is a constant threat to the Earth from "the bugs." These creatures are many light-years away from the Earth, but there's a problem: they are firing asteroids - yes asteroids - at the Earth. The people of Earth have defenses against these asteroids, but they can't stop all of them. So the Mobile Infantry is called in to study and kill the aliens. Trust me, it's an awesome battle.

This movie is basically computer-generated and definitely earns its R rating from massive amounts of graphic violence, profanity, and nudity. It is also a very exciting movie, where the graphics are never corny, as in some movies. The aliens are totally realistic and extremely amazing. There are many futuristic weapons that will keep you in awe and enough explosions to make you see fire for weeks. The story is not weak, which you might have heard from adult critics. It is interesting, full of action, suspenseful, and overall entertaining. The characters are all well developed and likable.

I loved this movie. It is by far my favorite movie of all time. If you like science fiction, action, violence, or a love story squeezed into a movie, then this is for you. It is so fast-paced you will not want to get up during it. I was amazed by the killer graphics and story. I am going to see it again this weekend! My friends and I talk about it all the time. Everyone liked it and already has a favorite character. Overall I say go see it, even if you aren't impressed by all the praise I just gave it, chances are you'll love it

This movie is rated R. All those under 17 must be accompanied by an adult.