Amistad | Teen Ink

Amistad MAG

"Amistad" tells the true story of the Spanish slave ship, La Amistad, that is bringing slaves to America. On the way, however, a brave African warrior, Cinque, leads a bloody revolt. Only two members of the crew survive, begging for their lives with promises to sail the ship to Africa, but instead sail to America. There La Amistad is overtaken by the Navy and, when the survivors tell of the revolt, the slaves are imprisoned.

Who really owns theses slaves? Where did they really come from, Cuba or Africa? Was it murder or self-defense? The judge has to decide. The freedom of 53 Africans isn't the only thing at stake. Heavy politics are involved, as Martin Van Buren's re-election campaign may be ruined if the ruling is unfavorable. It takes an ex-President, a struggling lawyer, and the courage and truth Cinque has to argue on the behalf of the slaves.

This movie is exceptionally well done from all angles. It is clear that the topic was extraordinarily well-researched, as was the music, scenery, and even lighting that enhance every scene. This movie tells the truth about a story that has helped make Americans who we are. This is an important movie that everyone should see (with an adult) to appreciate the trials people went through to gain what we all too often take for granted: freedom. .

This movie is rated R. All those under 17 must be

accompanied by an adult.

i love this so much!

on May. 13 2009 at 4:33 pm
jofin john BRONZE, Carrollton Tx, Texas
a very good movie