Grease This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"Grease" is the word again. Twenty years after its firstappearance, Paramount Pictures re-released this unforgettable film. Manyteenagers have memorized the lyrics to the songs and dance moves. Nowthey can experience it on the big screen. A recent Broadway revival wasenjoyed by many people. The play starred many celebrities, includingRosie O'Donnell, Brooke Shields, and Olympic gold medallist DominiqueDawes.

John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John star as Danny andSandy in the hit movie. They were just beginning then, and now they areboth big names in Hollywood. The movie's producer, Alan Carr, did notthink this production would do so well. Since its debut in 1978,"Grease" has grossed more than $340 million. Carr makes allthe complications of the plot dissipate into a happy, easy resolution,and adolescent anxieties remain teases.

On opening night of there-release, my friends and I went to go see this memorable movie. Anhour and a half before it began, all the seats were filled, and therewere lines out the door. People came dressed as the famous T Birds andPink Ladies. During the hand-jive, groups of girls got up and danced inthe aisles. It was really a sensational night.

I saw"Grease" for the first time on videotape. It inspired me tohave '50s music as the theme for my bat-mitzvah. The music of the movieand the memorable scenes will remain with people of all ages for yearsto come.

ilovehim_78 said...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 9:15 am
I absolutely love this movie! John and Olivia do such a great job in this!