L.A. Confidential | Teen Ink

L.A. Confidential MAG

This past weekend, I rented "L. A. Confidential" with one ofmy friends. Neither of us really knew what the film was about, exceptthat it was a murder mystery set in L. A. during the 1950s. The onlyreason that we rented this movie was because my parents had heard thatit was really well done. I wasn't really sure what to think, but wedecided "L. A. Confidential" was the way to go.

Thismovie is based on the corruption in the Los Angeles Police Department inthe 1950s. There are three main characters: Ed Exley (Guy Pearce), anofficer trying to become a detective; Wendell "Bud" White(Russell Crowe), a police thug who beats up the bad guys to make LosAngeles a little more "safe"; Jack Vincennes (Kevin Spacey), acop who sells stories to a tabloid and has a television show based onhis life as a policeman. Later, we meet Lynn Bracken (Kim Basinger), adignified prostitute made to look like a popular movie star. Along withpolice chases, shootings, and kidnappings, there is (of course) a touchof romance, necessary in every good mystery, between Bud andLynn.

Quite frankly, I feel that "L. A. Confi-dential"is the best movie I have seen this year. Around every corner is asurprise and a thrill. It has all the elements of an excellent film: awonderful plot, a great script, and talented actors. Kim Basinger evengot an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. I will definitely rentit again. Everyone who has seen it agrees that "L. A.Confidential" is the movie to rent. If you love a good mystery orjust a good film, I truly believe that you will love thisone.