42 Movie Review | Teen Ink

42 Movie Review

By ctrimble92 BRONZE, Boynton Beach, Florida
ctrimble92 BRONZE, Boynton Beach, Florida

"There is no pleasure in having nothing to do, the fun is having tons to do and not doing it" -Andrew Jackson

42 is an inspirational story of a man named Jack Robinson (also known as Jackie Robinson) that had great courage to face the terrible racism that was happening in the mid 1900’s. 42 was written and directed by Brian Helgeland. The two main characters Jackie Robinson, the first African American to play in the MLB, and Branch Rickey, who was the coach that brought Jackie Robinson into the MLB, were played by Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford. The movie is named 42 because when Jackie Robinson entered the MLB he was the number 42, and he was such an inspiration to others due to his courage and his amazing talents. Jackie Robinson is the reason why the number 42 is now retired from the MLB.

The movie 42 seemed so realistic that at times, I actually felt that I was there. The movie wasn’t an animated movie, so it didn’t have any special effects, but there were other things special about it. In the movie the people wore clothes that I always imagined they did at the time that the movie was taking place. The setting looked so realistic, with the gravel as roads and the old buildings, that it helped portray the meaning of the movie even more. 42 didn’t have much music to it, but when it did it fit so perfectly that it made the meaning of the movie even more incredible. To sum up, the costumes, the music, and the settings were incredible, which made the movie even more amazing.

Jackie Robinson was such an amazing person, so you would think that it would’ve been hard to capture the essence of his personality and abilities, but some how Chadwick Boseman was able to. Chadwick Boseman was able to show the anger that Jackie Robinson must have been feeling during the difficult times that he was going through. By saying “Baseball needed Jackie Robinson to succeed, and so did the United States as a whole”, Chadwick Boseman showed how much respect and appreciation that he had for Jackie Robinson, which made him even better for the part. All and all, Jackie Robinson was just the best choice for the role of Jackie Robinson.

The movie 42 was based on a true story, and I believe that it was true to history. In the movie 42, every thing that happened could have definitely happened. For example, there is one scene in the movie was when a father started yelling the “n” word when Jackie Robinson walked onto the field, and the mans child was so confused, but because everyone else was screaming it, so he followed in their footsteps. This scene showed how easily people were persuaded back then, which was very true to history. Obviously this movie was not made when these events actually happened, so it will not be perfectly accurate, but I believe that it was the most accurate that it could be.

42 was a great movie, but it was not appropriate for all ages. Throughout the movie there are racial comments that are inappropriate for children under the age of thirteen to view. 42 is also rated PG-13, so that is another reason why it is not appropriate. Even though it is about the history of baseball, people who don’t play baseball or even sports in general would still love this movie. Even older people still enjoyed this movie, because it brought them back to times in their earlier childhood.