Antz | Teen Ink

Antz MAG

AntzIs it possible for an entire movie to be set in a square yard? It is if your cast is made up entirely of insects. Such is the case with the computer-animated "Antz." Don't let the PG rating fool you. This is not some sappy movie for 5-year-olds. "Antz" has an amusing plot, believable characters and is very funny.The show is about a slightly nerdy worker ant named Z (voiced by Woody Allen), who doesn't find moving dirt a particularly satisfying career. Unlike the other ants in the colony, Z is cursed with a mind of his own. I found myself feeling a little sorry for the middle child out of five million. Determined to escape, Z leaves the safety of the hill in search of Insectopla. In the end, he drags along the daughter of the queen, Princess Bala (Sharon Stone). Encountering magnifying glasses, puddles and a pair of gigantic sneakers, the two insects press on in order to find the land of plenty.The graphics in this movie are amazing. There are times when it is hard to believe that it was all done with computers; it is that realistic. You can see the veins in the ants' foreheads. Often computers are abused in movies with the hope that special effects can make up for a shabby plot. "Antz" uses the computer strictly as a tool, not a gimmick. It is a shame that animated movies are automatically labeled as only for kids. I think anyone who can appreciate the imagination that went into "Antz" will enjoy it.It is hard to think that a colony of ants could possibly be like our own society. In "Antz," no individual ant matters. All that matters is the survival of the colony. We humans think differently. Throughout our lives, we strive for our own existence. True, we think about other people but, for the most part, we are a selfish race. Yet does any one person really make that much of a difference? Things would be altered on a small scale, but the world does not rest on the shoulders of any one person. Is "Antz" really a movie about six-legged creatures that are easy to step on? Or is it a movie that points out interesting ideas about our society? Go see it yourself and make your own decision.It's a strange movie, I can tell you that. Most of the characters end up in the same situations that they were in when the movie started. The only thing that changes is the character's attitude. Give this unique movie a chance and maybe you'll change your attitude. One thing is for sure: you will never look at ants the same way again. .Review by Christina Rockwell, Newark, DE