Texas Chainsaw Massacre | Teen Ink

Texas Chainsaw Massacre MAG

By Anonymous

   "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - just its name creates pictures of blood and gore. But not many realize just how much of a masterpiece it is. It starts with a group of college-age men and women traveling to an old home in Texas. Along the way, they meet a hitchhiker - and when they reach the house, they meet the most vicious movie villain of all time: Leatherface. Leatherface feeds the people he kills to his family - his 100-year-old grandpa, (a crazed lunatic with a facial scar) and his insane father.You would think a film with this plot would be filled with blood and gore, but it is not. The deaths are shown in the shadows and without blood. The focus of the film is horror not gore - more in the vein of "Psycho" than most modern horror films. You can almost feel the kids' fear as Leatherface chases them; it jumps right out of the screen at you.Tobe Hooper's techniques to promote fear are amazing: the angles, the music, the sound - this is what true horror is. Supposedly based on a true story, the film utilizes mostly mid-angles, which gives the movie a more real effect. The great thing about the music is that there hardly is any; this makes the film seem real. When there is music, it's mostly random drum and cymbal beats, nothing with any rhythm, which accents the overall craziness. By the end, you will never forget the sound of a chainsaw. Throughout the film, Leatherface makes pig-like sounds, showing that he is basically a beast with a driving hunger for human flesh.As a person who watches horror movies with a passion, this is one of the few that actually scares me, so beware. Forget "I Know What You Did Last Summer," "Scream" and other new cheesy teen horror movies. If you really want to scream, watch "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." .