Frozen Review | Teen Ink

Frozen Review

By FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California

This film is being advertised as the greatest film that Walt Disney Animations Studios has made since The Lion King. But does it live up to the hype? I am glad to report that this film is not only the best animated Disney film since The Lion King, but also marks the triumphs return of Walt Disney Animations Studios, in this new era known as The Disney Revival Era.

Loosely based on the Hans Christian Anderson story The Ice Queen, Frozen tells the story of Queen Elsa, born with the power to create ice and snow. She keeps her power in secret, however, after a dark experience in her childhood, which causes her to become estranged. When she accidentally causes her kingdom to go into eternal winter, her sister Princess Anna embarks on a journey to find her and bring the kingdom back to where it was before.

It's hard to begin where to start praising this film, but the first issue I want to address is the relationship between Queen Elsa and Princess Anna, which has to be one of the best representations of Disney Princesses ever created. Each of them get important backstory and actually have conflicts that people can relate to. Without ruining much, the conflict that Elsa is going to is one that many could relate, as her secret causes her to become distant to her sister. The effect that it has on her sister is one that many family members could or have related to. Seeing them grow and interact and confront from each other's conflict was a huge highlight, as it serves as a message about family and sibling-hood. I really wish that I could go more into detail with this message but in doing that will be spoiling the film's greatest aspect of discovering the strength of self-importance and righteous. So sorry, this is far as I can go without ruing the film.

I also loved how it is different from many other Disney films (even to the point of mocking). An example of that is for the first time in forever (sorry for the Frozen pun), the Queen in a Disney film is not a villain, but a strong human character. I love how it also mocks the aspect of falling in love at first sight. Disney Princess films has a huge controversy of the princess (Cinderella, Snow White, etc.) falling in love with a guy who they JUST MET in a few hours. This film mocks that idea, and shows that true love come from getting to know the person well. Not only that, but it also shows how love comes in all aspects, specifically when it comes to family, as it serves an important message that love between family is one of the greatest love you can have.

But even though this film has different elements that are different from Disney films, it still has virtues that made people love them in their first place. For starters, it features some of the most carefully constructed and beautiful animations in recent years (the scenes where Elsa uses her ice powers are breathtaking and riveting). Like many Disney films, it has a plethora of excellent supporting characters, including a hilarious snowman named Olaf in his scene stealing scenes.

But where the film stands out the most are the songs featured in this film. Written and composed by Robert and Kristian Anderson Lopez, they were able to bring us the best animated musical since The Disney Renaissance Era. Songs like “Do You Want to Build a Snowman” and “For The First Time in Forever” are catchy and spectacular, as well as perfectly setting the mood that the film wants to present. The incredible voice talents from the cast add depth to the songs and make them come to life.

But the best song that the film features is not only the best scene in the film, not only the best original song of the whole year, but it is already one of my favorite’s songs that Disney has ever released. That has to be Idina Menzel's AWESOMETACULAR performance of "Let it Go". The message that this beautiful song has behind it is incredible. That message is not to be afraid of whom you are, and to let the fear of showing who you are in the past. Add that to the spectacular voice that Idina Menzel (famous for her Broadway performance in Wicked) provides for this song and you get one of the best songs that Disney has created. I guarantee you that this song will get nominated and win the Best Original Song at the 86th Academy Awards.

But lastly, this song represents everything that makes Frozen an absolute Disney Classic. With beautiful animation, incredible voice talents, riveting song sequences, and strong and supporting messages about family and love, Frozen lives up to the hype of the best film that Walt Disney Animation Studios has released since The Lion King. Frozen stands alongside films The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Wreck it Ralph in The Disney Revival Era. Like the films in that era, Frozen is AWESOMETACULAR

With beautiful animation, incredible voice talents, riveting song sequences, and strong and supporting messages about family and love, Frozen lives up to the hype of the best film that Walt Disney Animation Studios has released since The Lion King. Frozen stands alongside films The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Wreck it Ralph in The Disney Revival Era. Like the films in that era, Frozen is AWESOMETACULAR