Catching Fire | Teen Ink

Catching Fire

By Casandra Vigil BRONZE, Thorton, Colorado
Casandra Vigil BRONZE, Thorton, Colorado

Hunger for the Games

On November 11, 2013, the film Catching Fire, made its debut to public movie theaters. With the skill of director Francis Lawrence, Catching Fire, rocketed through box office records with a world-wide grand total of $573 million ticket sales as of December 1, 2013. Being the sequel of the Hunger Games trilogy, the film drew in audiences all over the globe. It met readers’ standards by depicting Suzanne Collins’ novel almost to perfection. The film successfully captured all the passion, intensity, and unique characters from the novel into the big motion picture the world has been waiting for.

Throughout the film, emotions and intensity are displayed through suspense and action. The cast is made up of spectacular actors including Jennifer Lawrence, Woody Harrleson, and Josh Hutcherson. They play their roles perfectly, making the film compare almost exactly to the novel. Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) is the kind, gentle young man he is in the novel, and Katniss, the protagonist, fulfills every ounce of attitude that is expected. Audiences are fascinated by the captivating changes of scenery, including the elaborate details of the jungle atmosphere where most of the action takes place. Every detail that was put into the film makes it the box office hit it is.

For those not familiar with the Hunger Games, it is a suspenseful adventure of competition to the death. Audiences experience yet another adventure of Katniss Everdeen’s (Jennifer Lawrence) struggle in her corrupted society. The plot is full of action, emotion, and suspense, entertaining audiences of all ages. This film held true to all its promises for a breathtaking experience. There is never a dull moment in Catching Fire!

Being the sequel of a trilogy, I was quite impressed with how well Catching Fire is portrayed in film compared to the novel. Despite a few minor details, the film followed the novel very well. I was particularly impressed by the detail in the jungle setting; the thick, green plants and vines became obstacles that the characters had to endure throughout their journey. Yet again, I was entertained by another intense plot that sparked my imagination. The Hunger Games films have been able to capture so many concepts including love, action, and suspense in a way that captivates the audience, rather than confuses or bores them.
The unique storyline, breathtaking scenery, and spectacular cast are only miniscule features that make Catching Fire the sensational piece of work that it is. It’s an adventure that you do not want to miss out on. Despite what it may seem, the Hunger Games trilogy is a stellar read and has continued to be transformed into amazing films. Expectations were high for this film, and they were met through excellence. Whether you’re looking for love, action, suspense, or any other drama, Catching Fire is definitely the film for you.