Catching Fire | Teen Ink

Catching Fire

By Jessica Short BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Jessica Short BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Catching Fire

Catching Fire is the sensational film that came out on November 22, 2013. The director,
Francis Lawrence, really knows how to keep an audience engaged in a storyline. Lawrence gives
the audience plot twists that will blow your mind. Lawrence continues the sequel of The Hunger
Games by delivering a film about the Capitol of twelve Districts. Lawrence also, comes out with
a book that is descriptive and adds on to the movie. The Hunger Games series is great! The film
has loyalty, honor, love, and sacrifice. Catching Fire blew the charts by making a record high of
views and five star ratings.
Jennifer Lawrence, who stares as Katniss, is the main character in Catching Fire.
Lawrence is the heart of the movie because she is the key to every action or event that takes
place in Catching Fire. Jennifer does an amazing job acting her part, the audience is drawn to
Katniss from the very beginning of the movie to the end. Then, there is Peeta, Josh Hutcherson.
Peeta is Katniss’s other half. Throughout, the whole film Peeta and Katniss are saving each other
from President Snow and celebrating their victory in the Hunger Games. Katniss and Peeta just
get home safely from the 74th Hunger Games only to return to battle in 75th Quarter Quell games
along with all the victors from every single District. The other tributes and remaining characters
are important as well because of the intensity and performance they bring to the film.
“Hope,” is what all the characters sense after Katniss and Peeta are victors. The plot is
confusing at first, but then explains itself in the end. The Games in general draw audiences in
because a story like this has never been done before. The events in Catching Fire, such as the
Quarter Quell Hunger Games makes the movie so much more interesting. Catching Fire is an
entertaining film because it’s different with its own unique style. Although there are many parts
in the movie to be entertaining a few parts were boring. For example, when they are training as
an audience it is not very entertaining to watch the characters show their individual skills. The
ending of the movie was not strong. The ending is left so open-ended.
However, the way the movie builds off of itself is interesting. When watching the film
the director plays with the viewer’s minds as well as the characters in the story. Lawrence
foreshadows clues to the audience about what the games will be like in the 75th Quarter Quell
games. In the end of the film, around the last ten minutes you will be surprised because the
whole movie is not what was thought to be. These last few minutes really ties up the characters
and how the characters play such great acting to where it is almost unbelievable because some
characters are not who the audience thinks they would have been.
Catching Fire has amazing ratings and was a film full of adventure. As a viewer, the
movie was untouchable because there were great actors and the scenes were cool to see. This
was definitely the film to watch and will continue on to be. The way the director foreshadows
and gives the audience hints that later on in the movie makes the audience think is an extremely
good concept to have in this movie. Catching Fire is phenomenal it is one of the top films in the
nation.