City of Ember | Teen Ink

City of Ember

Initially, “City of Ember” seems like it could be this awesome, thrilling, adventure-filled film. If you have read the book by Jeanne DuPrau, beware. The movie disappoints; it doesn’t do the book justice. I went into the theater expecting to be wowed, but I left let down. I was so dissatisfied because the movie left out many fundamentals. It substituted, for instance, giant bugs; they were not in the book. These creatures didn’t quite fit in my opinion. It seems to be more geared towards the younger audience.
There were many visible attempts at humor, and I say this because none were the least bit funny. In any case, no one in the theater I was in laughed. Maybe they sniggered at the ridiculous stabs at comedy, but that’s about it.
I wish I could say that this film pleasantly surprised me as I very much enjoyed the book, but that would be dishonest. In spite of all of the negative aspects, I would still encourage you to see it. The city itself was nearly just as I imagined it would be when I read the book. Also, actress Saoirse Ronan who stars as Lena Mayfleet was fantastic. Her performance pleasantly surprised me. Simply put, the book is better than the movie, but the movie is still worth watching.

This is my first review, so that should explain a lot :). Thanks to anyone who reads this! Also, please comment if you can, that would be really helpful for me to get better at writing reviews.

4lyssa said...
Thanks! Yeah, I guess I didn't give much of a summary. I was just afraid to give it away, and spoil it. I'll have to work on that. Thanks so much for the comment!

arabesque said...
That was a great review. I just wanted to comment that maybe next time should tell a little about what the movie is actually about for those who have never read the book. I have never even heard of it before so I was interested in the overall plot. Wonderful job though!