Almost Famous | Teen Ink

Almost Famous MAG

In "Almost Famous," director Cameron Crowe'sfirst movie since "Jerry Maguire," aspiring 15-year-old writer William(Patrick Fugit) is caught up in the rock 'n' roll lifestyle of the early '70swhen he attempts to get an interview with the up-and-coming band Stillwater forRolling Stone. A loosely autobiographical story of Crowe's early journalism days,the rock scene enamors William. To him, the life of screaming fans, groupies andwild parties seem too good to be true, and when he really gets to know leadsinger Jeff Bebe (Jason Lee, "Mall Rats," "Chasing Amy") andlead guitarist Russell Hammond (Billy Crudup), he realizes it is.

Williamfinds himself in a world more fake than real. Falling in love with major groupieand leader of the Band-Aids, Penny Lane (Kate Hudson), he gets a harsh dose ofreality when Hammond sells her like a cheap hooker to another band for 50 bucksand a case of beer. Although Stillwater pretends to care about its fans, themembers are not as cool as they look.

Let me say this: "AlmostFamous" is the story of a kid who experiences the rock scene firsthand, andbecomes aware of human pitfalls while maturing rapidly on the road. Throw in somegreat music reminiscent of "Grand Funk Railroad," and a hilarious LSDscene, and you have a self-discovery movie of the first caliber. I recommend itto everyone who enjoys a good plot and an interesting peek into the world of rockon the road.