Cathing Fire | Teen Ink

Cathing Fire

Catching Fire Movie Relationships

What I would change

Though most people discredit movies for being a lot different from the book, Catching Fire directed by Francis Lawrence was spot on compared to the book by Suzanne Collins. It missed very little, to none parts of the book and overall was a terrific film. I think that if the movie wasn’t pg-13 and was Rated-R the movie would be much more intense and action. Also you could tell that they didn’t make the movie as bloody during the games because of the PG-13 rating that they were going for. In the book it was much more detailed and gruesome which enhanced the story a lot more. Other than that the director did an awesome job making this motion picture, and I really hope this director does the last movie, The Mocking Jay.

Plot Summary

The plot of the movie stayed faithful to the book. Its starts off after the 74th hunger games, when Katnis Everdeen and Peeta Mallarc return home to district 12; getting ready for the victors tour. While at home, president snow sends a death threat to Katniss for her actions during the 74th hunger games, starting rebellion against the capitol.
During the tour Katniss is forced to make people believe that her actions to save Peeta were of pure love and not for defiance. The tour begins at district 11 where they talk to the families of the fallen tributes. This was a heart-felt moment, when Katnis shared her personal feelings to Rues family. After her speech she was responded with a three-finger salute, in act of unity and solidarity. The salute got immediate attention and Peace Keepers killed the man. Her mentor Heymitch warns Katnis and Peeta that they really have to show that they love each other or more peoples going to get killed. With the advise given by Haymitch they go on to talk to the rest of the districts and they decide to get married, one step closer to getting the people to believe them. When they get back to district 12 peace keepers start getting harmful and scare the people in the districts. When gale goes to save lady from getting hit they publicly whipped him causing Katnis and Haymich to get involved. Gale is badly hurt and they end up helping him before the announcement of the third quarter qual. The 75th hunger Games is much more intense, now the winners from the previous hunger games have to be part of the reaping. All of them are experienced and have won before.
At the reaping Heymitch and Katnis get chosen, but Peeta volunteers as tribute for his fellow mentor. Heymitch made a promise to Katnis that he would keep Peeta alive no matter what. At the end of the reaping Katnis and Peeta weren’t given time to say good bye to there families, While preparing for the games Haymitch advises Katniss to make allies, because they’re all angry at the capital. During the interviews, the tributes express themselves against the system. For Katniss president Snow demanded for her to wear her wedding dress, but was transformed into a mocking bird. Because of the dress made by Ceena, he was severely beaten in front of Katniss.
In the games Katniss is allies with Finnick Odair and his mentor Mags (a very elderly women). While together Peeta almost dies when reaching the end of the dome, luckily Finnick saves him using CPR. They set up camp and go through a number of bad disasters. The second day of the hunger games a big pack of poisoned fog tramples over the area in which they where at. With Mags on Finnicks back and Peeta hardly able to walk Mags sacrifices herself for them to stay alive. Later that day they fight a big group of apes and Peeta is saved yet again by an unexpected tribute from district 6. When they arrive at the beach they find Johanna and make allies with her group. Together they make an ingenious plan because they find out that the games is setup like a clock and at twelve ‘o clock the lightning strikes the tree. At the tree they were going to set up a wire from the beach to the tree making everything on the beach get electrocuted. There plan was then broken up and Johanna cut out the tracker from her hand, when Katnis walked back she grabbed the rope tied it to her bow and aimed it at the top of the dome, destroying the games.
When she wakes up she overhears Haymitch, Finnick and the head game maker talking about district 13. She walks in the room and Haymitch tells her that Peeta, Johanna, and Enobaria have been captured by the capitol, and “she was the plan the whole time.” In the end the game maker was a rebellion after all, and everyone knew about the plan; destroy the capitol!

Setting

The movies stayed faithful to almost every part of the book, the setting was one of the most important parts and they did a great job creating the setting. When Katniss and Peeta arrived home from the 74th hunger games, the districts where a lot different peacekeepers were way harder on the people in their village. Riots were starting in the other districts because of the rebellion act done by Katnis. Another important setting was the set up of the games, the games was the climax of the book. In the movie they made the stadium exactly how I pictured it when reading the book.

Theme

The theme of both the movie and the book was the third quarter quall or the 75th annual hunger game. Every twenty-five years the hunger games steps gets more extreme this time since it was the 75th, they decided to put only the winners from previous hunger games into the reaping. When Haymitch won the hunger games it was the 50th annual so they took 4 people from each district instead of 2. President snow also wanted Katniss deceased, so this is what he planned to do.