Bandits | Teen Ink

Bandits MAG

Barry Levinson's "Bandits"is about sin, and how much fun it can be. The film is immensely entertaining, butas far as morals go, you have to stop and wonder if a film like this should besomething to feed us. It often feels like a good television show, intertwiningmany colorful characters just to gain a laugh, which is not necessarily a badthing, and in "Bandits," it works splendidly.

The onlycharacter of real mention is Kate (Cate Blanchett), whose performance as Joe andTerry's befuddled lover is hilarious and Oscar-worthy. What keeps you coming backis that you are being entertained by a movie that glorifies stealing. From amoral standpoint, the stealing aspect isn't the only stopper.

The filmdefinitely earns its PG-13 rating. There are many non-explicit sexual scenes,including one involving teenagers. Profanity finds its way into the mix as well.

If you can look past the stealing, sexuality, and language,"Bandits" does have heart. The film is directed flawlessly, and the endse-quences are nothing less than shocking. The characters are portrayed superbly,with exceptional performances from Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton andBlanchett, along with the minor characters who are thrown in for genuine laughs.

I've heard some call this a Robin Hood tale for our generation, but it isnot; they don't rob from the rich to give to the poor. Instead, this is anentertaining caper flick in the pattern of films like "The Sting" andthe lesser known "Where the Money Is."