The Shining This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown
   Whatdoes it take to make an intense, on-the-edge-of-your-seat film? Trycasting the best evil grin in Hollywood, Jack Nicholson. Along withShelley Duvall (his not-so-convincing wife Wendy) and Danny Lloyd (sonDanny), Nicholson takes a deep dive into the supernatural in the hit"The Shining."

Jack Torrence (Nicholson), Wendy, andtheir son move into the Overlook Hotel in the Rocky Mountains totake care of it over the harsh winter. Though warned about murders thathad taken place there, Jack insists everything and everyone will befine. What Jack and his family do not expect are the ghosts who hauntthe premises. Only Danny, with his gift of "shining," can seethrough the beautiful hotel to the horror.

As the movieprogresses, each character (especially Jack) realizes what is reallyhappening, as personalities shift and situations beyond the norm takeplace. Viewers wonder, Will anyone get out of there alive?

Themovie as a whole creates an eerie picture of what isolation can do. Theactors succeed in creating an enjoyable suspense film. I like torecommend "The Shining" to those who delight in being freakedout. As for those who cannot handle a little blood or dead peoplewalking around, do not watch it. It might be too much tohandle!

ColumbusFlame95 said...
good review, but you make it sound too much like it is the gosts that are the ones terrorizing the family, when in reality it is Jack Torrence who has gone crazy that is terrorizing them. i didn't feel that it was a very "scary" movie though like i thought it would be. the only thing that made it suspensful was the use of music. if you remove the music, you end up with a regular old movie that has one suspensful scene, being the one with the famous line, "Heeeeere's John... (more »)