The Fast and the Furious | Teen Ink

The Fast and the Furious MAG

"I live my life a quarter of a mile at a time. For those ten seconds, I'mfree," Vin Diesel's character, Dom Toretto, proclaims, summarizing the plotof "The Fast and the Furious," released last summer. Although itfollows in the footsteps of other race-car movies such as "Driven" and"Gone in 60 Seconds," this one is more than just a showcase for thelatest race-car trends.

"The Fast and the Furious" isaction-packed and takes an in-depth look at illegal street racing in theoutskirts of Los Angeles. Dom Toretto is a suave and menacing street-racer who isregarded as the best in the business.

An undercover cop, Brian Spilner(Paul Walker), assimilates himself into this world of fast cars, fast money andpartying. He is investigating Toretto and his groupies, who steal and sellelectronic products so they can get money for their cars. Conflict arises asSpilner gains the trust and friendship of Toretto and becomes involved with hissister, Mia (Jordana Brewster).

Kudos to Vin Diesel for his portrayal oftough-guy Toretto. Before this appearance, Diesel had minor roles in"Multi-Facial," "Strays" and "Saving Private Ryan."This performance is proof that he is an up-and-coming star.

Formersoap-opera star Brewster is another standout. Like Diesel, Brewster easily adaptsto the role of a street-racer. Her expressions are natural and her acting isphenomenal. Evidence of her talent shines when she is forced to choose betweenher brother and Spilner. This film establishes her as a permanent member of theacting community.

Veteran actors Paul Walker and Michelle Rodriguez are,in contrast, surprisingly ineffective. Walker is awkward as the undercover copand is also one of the few Caucasian cast members. His attempts to attract Miaare strained and unbelievable. It's surprising that Toretto doesn't suspect he isan undercover cop. Walker's role certainly does not do justice to his reputationas a talented actor.

Michelle Rodriguez fails as Toretto's feistygirlfriend. She is painful to watch as she struggles to develop a "badgirl" attitude and falls into the shadows of Diesel and Brewster.

The race cars and mind-boggling stunts are an amazing representation ofthe racing world of Los Angeles. The cars, ranging from souped-up VolkswagenJettas to Mitsubishis, are fast, flashy, and above all, awe-inspiring. The racingstunts leave audiences gripping their seats. One such mind-boggling scene hasSpilner and Toretto racing toward a railroad crossing, reaching it as the gatesclose for an approaching train. Will they survive?

Although the plot mayoften be lacking, "The Fast and the Furious" is overall a solid movie.It was recently released on video and the plethora of sales indicates itssuccess. It also has an amazing soundtrack, which emphasizes the stunts andhigh-speed chases. After watching, one might have the urge to jump into a car andrace around the block.

on May. 19 2011 at 7:25 am

what a peculiar film,  i do not get most of it, the parts i understood, were great, but the whole plot is all over the place and you never know who is who, doing what, and why, and where? I have watched it several times, but still do not understand it, can someone explain it to me and then maybe i will find it a better film!?