A Walk to Remember | Teen Ink

A Walk to Remember MAG

Boymeets girl. Boy falls in love with girl. Tragic event affects relationship. Soundfamiliar? It should. Almost every teen movie has this cliché plot, and"A Walk to Remember" is no exception.

"A Walk toRemember" is about two small-town high-school students who fall in love witheach other. Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore), a minister's daughter, is polite, sweetand conservative. Landon Carter (Shane West) is the town's bad boy; he ispopular, mean and conceited. Due to a run-in with the law, Landon is forced to docommunity service. Acting and tutoring are all that the principal deemsappropriate as penance for being responsible for another boy's critical injuries.

It is in this period of "service" that Landon gets to knowJamie for who she really is, not as the Bible-hugging churchgoer he onceperceived her. Landon realizes Jamie is different; she has a never-ending to-dolist for her life and always lives for the moment.

The opening scene ofthis film contains typical elements of a teen movie: peer pressure, the hierarchyof high school society and, of course, fast cars. At first, I thought this scenewas meant to prepare me for the excitement of the movie, but I realized it was apathetically uninventive attempt to catch the audience's attention. When adirector like Adam Shankman ("Scream 2" and "The WeddingPlanner") needs to scheme to keep the audience in the theater, you knowsomething must be wrong.

This role was supposed to be Moore's break intoacting, but just as with other singer-turned-actresses in Hollywood, she finds itnecessary to incorporate singing into her acting, but the musical scenes have norelevance to the plot. Her character is so preposterous that she spews lineslike, "You have to promise not to fall in love with me." What kind ofperson says that? The basis of Jamie's character is rooted in her totalself-confidence, yet everything she says sounds arrogant and pretentious. Mandydoesn't act, she over-acts, and ruins the atmosphere of the wholefilm.

"A Walk to Remember" is unoriginal, boring andunrealistic. A movie cannot get any worse than this. No one should have to sufferthe agony of watching this movie, and if you heed my warning, you never will.

bokworm SILVER said...
bokworm SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

life is gets easier by what you do not by what you don't

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I so disagree i loved this movie i laghed cried and was moved in so many ways but good reviw