Barbershop | Teen Ink

Barbershop MAG

By Anonymous

   A young director, a star-studded cast and an inspiring script are all part of thehit film "Barbershop.""

In Chicago's South Side, Calvin (IceCube) inherits a barbershop from his father and has to make ends meet. DirectorTim Story explores the shop's significance to the neighborhood and its employees.

Do not be discouraged by the abundance of rappers-turned-actors in thisfilm, like Ice Cube and Eve - their intriguing performances back up their claimsto actor status. The cast consists of a few new faces, but also a number ofexperienced actors: Cedric the Entertainer ("Kings of Comedy"), SeanPatrick Thomas ("Save the Last Dance") and Anthony Anderson ("ExitWounds"). They all bring their characters to life. Cedric plays the veteranbarber who gives his wisdom to the youngsters; Thomas plays Jimmy, theknow-it-all college boy, and Eve is Terri, the outspoken, victimized girlfriend.Other interesting characters include the token white boy, the two-time felonturned good guy, the idiotic sidekick, and the naive Nigerianimmigrant.

This movie goes beyond the typical urban, hip-hop flick andconsiders the shop's contributions to the neighborhood and its patrons. It's aplace where everyone can speak their minds. In the midst of occasionaldisagreements and thought-provoking conversations, there is a robbery and a loanshark threatens to close the shop. All of these events take place in oneday.

This film is a hit that will be enjoyed for years to come, (despite afew controversial remarks about Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rosa Parks)."Barbershop" is more than just a comedy; its universal theme andcharacters everyone can identify with set it apart from the typical inner-city,violent and pointless films. After watching it, a new appreciation andunderstanding of your neighborhood is inevitable.