White Oleander This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Just like the title, the characters seem pleasant and appealing, but within the flowerdrips poison. "White Oleander" is filled with dysfunctionalrelationships, sexuality and violence. Even though most viewers do not havemothers in jails or constantly shuffle between foster homes, they'll relate tothe twisted relationships and mixed emotions.

Michelle Pfeiffer playsIngrid, a single mother whose actions are motivated by jealousy and a need forcontrol. When she murders a boyfriend and is sentenced to prison, her daughterAstrid (Alison Lohman) is left searching for the truth and acceptance as she'smoved from foster home to foster home. Every time she grows close to a family,she ends up in the middle of a family break-up. Each of her experiences helps herdiscover how strong she is.

"White Oleander," directed by PeterKosminsky, is based on the novel by Janet Fitch. The supporting cast includesReneé Zellweger, Patrick Fugit, Cole Hauser and Noah Wyle.