Ender's Gaame | Teen Ink

Ender's Gaame

By JordynUnfamous413 BRONZE, KEAAU, Hawaii
JordynUnfamous413 BRONZE, KEAAU, Hawaii
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! MAKE LIFE TAKE THE LEMONS BACK!!!
I don't want your dang lemons WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE??? -Portal 2

Ender’s Game was a Literature book written by Orson Scott Card and was published in 1985, but it didn't become a movie until 2013. The story includes the characters Andrew “Ender”, Peter, and Valentine Wiggin. They are siblings. Stilsin is the bully that Ender had to fight against. Bonzo is the toon leader that harshly treats Ender mean, Petra is the girl that helps train Ender in the battle room on shooting and aim. Alai, Bean, and Shen is the closest things to friends that Ender had in Battle School. Bernard was the bully at Battle school that later ends up treating Ender with better respect instead of being jealous after a while. Colonel Graff is the Principal of the Battle school who helps Ender to become the best he could be. Mazer Rackham is the well famously known man who defeated the Buggers in their first invasion and he later also helps Ender to defeat the Buggers second invasion.
The setting first starts with Ender in his school where he gets his moniter taken out. Then at his home where Colonel Graff arrives to take him to Battle School, then in space where the Battle School is, then lastly on Eros where the story more or less lasts on until Ender heads out to space at the end to find a home for the Formic’s egg.
The theme was practically a quote from Ender. It has great meaning behind it, its pretty deep. “In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, I understand well enough to defeat them, then in that very moment I also love them. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them… I destroy them.”
Some important lines of dialogue, yes, already including the quote mentioned above, is also these quotes: “ Remember, the enemy’s gate is down.” and “ Perhaps it’s impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.”
This is what really disappointed me with the movie. They cut out parts that were important in the book. So some of the things that Ender did or some of the things that happened in the movie might have been questionable why they did it. Like where did they get the idea of tying Bean to a string? You would’ve had to read the book in order to understand how they got the idea. It was during their toon practices where they noticed they could change his course through the battle room.
I guess the reason they had to cut out stuff was probably because the movie would’ve ended up being 6 hours long or something. Because the story in the book was very, very descriptive. Which is what made the book actually better than the movie. But I believe that most of the parts of the movie were kind of rushed. They didn't explain several things very well, or they didn’t even explain it at all
Now the actors...Well, Ender was totally different from what I expected. But I have to say he still fit well. But his personality was a littler more fierce and he was more of a smarty-pants at times. Bean was like, the bestest of all the characters. He was my favorite in the movie, he was way better than I imagined. Bonzo...Was hilariously disappointing. He was shorter than Ender yet he bosses everyone around like he’s all that. He better watch it because someone could easily beat him up, like how Ender did. I imagined him at least gaining 2 to 3 inches above Ender and his appearance totally different, he looked better looking. My classmates in the theater could not stop laughing whenever he came on screen. Even when he knocked out and was probably dead they were still laughing. Graff was great, exactly what I thought he looked like. Petra was even better than I thought. She was my second favorite in the movie.
Now to close things up. The effects and most of the actors were great in the movie, which was what made the movie better. But what evened out was that the movie was way too rushed. They cut out too much stuff. Yes it was reasonable to cut out things, but they took out things that explained Enders decisions and tactics for things. They also altered a few things like Ender’s age was never mentioned or the rest of the kids either. But overall, you would have to read the book first in order to fully understand the movie. So I recommend the book over the movie, and if you're going to do both, read the book first. It seems as if the book is always better than the movie.

Our class spent 2 months prior to the opening of the movie reading Ender's Game. Then not too long ago we finally had our field trip to go watch the movie. Our assignment was to write a review and send it to Teen ink.