Li of Pi | Teen Ink

Li of Pi

By Lizhi Hao BRONZE, Poyyersville, New Jersey
Lizhi Hao BRONZE, Poyyersville, New Jersey

Life of Pi

Every night ,the most interesting thing for me is to read Life of Pi. After that, I watched movie Life of Pi this week after study hall.

Before I watched this movie, I only read this book once a few days ago. I thought it was a story about Pi’s experience. However, it turned out to be more than that. In the movie, I know that Life of Pi tells a story of a 17-year-old boy who is from a typical Indian family. The movie consists of three major parts: the first part is about Pi’s life in school. And in female is brought into some Hindu cultural significance of the elements. The second part talks about his life when his family and he had an adventurous journey on Pacific Ocean; in the third part, he had a conversation with two Japanese reporters.

When he was young, in his math class dictation, pi was always bullied by classmates at school. He quested for the three major religions all the time. What most impressed me was when Pi met his first love. When I watched the entire movie, I found that the girl related to the plot. She was the main route to God. In dance, she used the gesture of a lotus in the forest and the Flanagan red line. Those elements correspond to the film manifestation of the mysterious Island at the end of Pi’s journey. When the separation of Pi and the girls happened, I remembered he said, "Things didn't turn out the way they were supposed to, but what can you do? You must take life the way it comes at you and make the best of it," and, "I remember that day all the details, but the strange thing is I do not remember how we say goodbye."

The another part when he was young I must mention about . His father owned a zoo. He wanted to lead his family to Canada and also bring all the animals. He thought that Canada would be a better place which could provide more opportunities for his two sons. But I really think that he always ignored the feelings of others, he did not take his sons’ true feelings’ into consideration. At that time Pi felt hopeless and desperate about his life.

Pi and his family had an adventurous journey on Pacific Ocean on their long way to Canada. His families died from a shipwreck at a stormy night, only he alone survived. Following him to the lifeboat were a broken leg zebra, a female Bornean orangutan “Orange Juice”, a spotted hyena, and a Bengal tiger “Richard Parker”. In this film, Pi saw tigers swam and struggled, he shouted its name, and then both jumped into cabin r. When Richard Parker appeared again, it was got rid of hyena. Moreover, Richard Parker pawing at the side of the ship and life on the line, after a brief hesitation he choose to save it on board. I moved they had the common experience of life and death. In order to taming the tiger, Pi tried different methods,but he only tamed Richerd Parker for just a short time. It was easy for tiger to destroy his three steps of training by a bulb heat the urine. Pi abandoned the intention to tame it. In the vast majority of the time drifting at sea are safely stay in a small self-made raft, Pi give whole the lifeboat to Richard Parker.

During the adventurous and fantasy journey, Pi had a conversation intellectually with god.This was the first time to face the loss of life, to question the meaning of the life. What impressed me most was the scene when Pi was drifting in the ocean, he was blind and also desperate. In the last days of darkness, he was miraculously came across another person who was also drifting in the vast sea. Pi and this person had conciseness and ambiguities in conversation. When the two lifeboats got closer and closer, Richard Parker jumped to the other boat and ate the man. “He gave me a life, my own life, but at the cost of removal of a life” ”Just at that moment, something in my heart died, and could not be revived.”

At the end of this movie, two Japanese people were sent to write the accident investigation report. I think that is a good part of the movie. Because when I was immersed in the fantasy journey, this took my attention back to the reality. When I thought of him drifting alone in the ocean, continuously struggling against the tiger, being cold, starving, and helpless, I realized that is was a legendary and meaningful experience. Although Pi did not say goodbye to this journey, this fantasy had come to the end. Finally, Pi survived and went back to the human world—a world constructed by law, morality, religion, and culture, the tiger left without looking back. It reminded of the word of Pi’s father, “believing everything at the same time is the same as believing anything at all. Instead of leaping from one religion to the next, why not start with reason ”

We are ceaselessly thinking while we are experiencing the world. A life is like a journey. There are always emotion and intellect, fantasy and reality involved in this journey. They make you desperate, and then give you hope. We all have shadow of Pi . When we are young, we are worried about growing up. When we are in low life,we experience many unforgettable hard times. When we are mature, eventually we learn to be brave and to face them all.

At the beginning of the film, Pi said:“Richard Parker has stayed with me. I've never forgotten him. Dare I say I miss him? I do. I miss him. I still see him in my dreams. They are nightmares mostly, but nightmares tinged with love. Such is the strangeness of the human heart” and the last word Lee said in the interview was “ I am always attracted by the beauty of religion, but there is a tiger in my heart all the time.”

In this film, many characters didn’t have a clear ending.

But I agree, the tiger in the heart will never leave.