RENT Movie Review | Teen Ink

RENT Movie Review

By Monica28 BRONZE, Clarksville, Tennessee
Monica28 BRONZE, Clarksville, Tennessee

“Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.” -William Shakespeare

I myself am an avid fan of musicals. Grease, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Xanadu are some of my favorites. My favorite musical of all time though would most definitely be RENT.

RENT is originally a Broadway musical, the 7th longest running one actually. It was first shown in 1996 and is based on Giacomo Puccuni's "La boheme". It is set in New York's East Village in 1989 going all the way through 1990. The musical follows 7 friends (and an old friend) through the year and shows how they deal with certain things such as newfound love and the AIDS epidemic.

What makes RENT such a fantastic musical is the raw emotions that the characters all produce. They make you feel as if these are your friends and you're right there learning and growing with them. The songs are wonderful and have a range of emotions in them too. From "Today 4 U" to "I'll Cover You (Reprise)", you feel everything from happy to depressed.

All in all, this movie has everything you could possibly want in it. You want a great plot? You've got it. You want a rocking soundtrack? They've got you covered. RENT is a definite must-see for all musical fans and I highly recommend it.

RENT is one of my favorite movies ever. I just had to share it so people would know.