Great Gatsby, That's Good | Teen Ink

Great Gatsby, That's Good

By Kat_atk BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Kat_atk BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

"If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough."

As the summer months unfold, thousands of movie goers will make their way towards local theaters, grabbing a tub of popcorn and settling down to catch the latest flick. With all of the movie options available right now, I suggest that “The Great Gatsby” be the first on anyone’s hit list. Boasting all of the dazzling extravagance one could hope for in a movie, Baz Luhrmann’s production of “The Great Gatsby” is sheer cinematic brilliance.

“The Great Gatsby” follows the life of narrator Nick Carraway (Tobey McGuire), a closet writer who finds himself in New York during the hustle and bustle of the raging twenties. Carraway resides in a small home in West Egg across from his cousin Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan) and, coincidentally, right next door to a gentleman named Jay Gatsby (Leonardo Dicaprio). In a time of loose morals and overbearing temptations, Carraway gets caught up in the social affairs of his peers and is soon invited to one of Gatsby’s infamous parties where he finds himself among a parade of established politicians, drunken party-goers, and celebrities. There, Carraway meets and later befriends Gatsby, learning of Gatsby’s love for Daisy and his mysterious past.

In a whirlwind adventure that will have any audience on the edge of their seats, Carraway aids Gatsby in his attempt to win back the love of his life. Flashy, exciting, and suspenseful, “The Great Gatsby” is sure to become a timeless classic. Baz Luhrmann does his very best to enchant his audience, and stops at nothing to get the job done. The amount of time and effort put into “The Great Gatsby” is evident, making this movie one that you cannot afford to miss.

Visually dazzling, heart wrenching, and well executed, Baz Luhrmann's production of The Great Gatsby is sheer cinematic brilliance.