Gravity Review | Teen Ink

Gravity Review

October 23, 2013
By FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
34 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The picture above represents the opening shot of Gravity. From the opening shot of the film where we see Earth, as a spaceship closes in on the shot, and all we hear is space command, this film showed us an incredible use of groundbreaking visuals and excellent 3D cinematography. From that moment on, I knew that I was in for a film that would change cinematic history.

Gravity is about after an accident sends two astronauts(portrayed by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney) into the unknown realm of space, they must work together in order to return back to Earth safely and sound in what is one of the most intense sci-fi thrillers of all time.

When I say that Gravity is one of the most intense sci-fi thriller of all time, I am not overreacting to it. Gravity is the exact definition for a space sci-fi thriller. Never had I experienced such gripping and intense moments that felt so surreal that transfers you into the situation that the characters are facing. What adds to the anxiety factor is that this film is set in space, in which no one can hear you scream and whatever happens in space can never be tracked or noticed. This film undeniably uses this film as a huge strength, as it is a nerve wrecking experience that fills you up with intense moments after intense moments that will guarantee leave your jaws dropping to the ground in almost every intense scene in this film.

Sandra Bullock is the astronaut that gets stuck into this situation of floating and drifting into the unknown realms of space. Already she is the underdog as she is floating and drifting in SPACE, and seeing her struggles to survive in this already impossible scenario is really one of the many strength of the movie. Bullock delivers an Oscar Worthy performance in this film, as she captures the struggles and hope for survival that the character represents. George Clooney is also in the film in which many astronauts such as Buzz Aldrin describe a great representation of how they would act when they are stuck in this situation. It is great to see him try to help Sandra Bullock out of this terrifying mess that they are in, as they hope to return to Earth.

But what helps capture the difficulty of space is the perfectly crafted cinematography that this film provides. Easily a contender to win Best Cinematography in the Oscars, it follows the characters struggles from every type of point of view that you can think of. The scenery for this film are beautifully crafted and wonderfully shown on screen that it makes me feel that I was watching a Hubble telescope from NASA. Props to the cinematographer to mastering the art of capturing the audience into this environment.

This film was shot and filmed in 3D. Normally I would detest 3D movies and wouldn't even mention them on a review. But what the 3D for this film does is that it enhances and enriches the cinematic experience. Instead of using it as a stupid gimmick that most 3D movies tried to do, this film respectfully uses the TRUE meaning of 3D technology, in which it is used as a means to enhance the story and to enrich the experience of the audience. It is highly recommended that you watch it in 3D in the biggest screen possible. You should watch Gravity in IMAX 3D for the ultimate experience. But if your theater doesn't have IMAX 3D or 3D, the 2D version is still really good.

The visuals for this film are out of this world. OH MY GOD. The visuals are so, so, beautiful. The visuals aren't just great or brilliant. They aren't even perfect. They are a cinematic achievement if there ever is one. No words can describe the visual feast that it was for my eyes, as they show the art of what visual effects can do for a film. Never was there a moment in which I realized that I was watching two actors acting in a green screen. From the first shot to its last, I felt that I was with the character being sent into space. I have never seen such perfection performed in a movie where all of it is set behind a green screen. What this film brought was art as it sends me off in a journey in space.

The last person that I want to thank is Alfonso Cuaron. Cauron has always made me proud of his work. He directed my favorite Harry Potter movie with The Prisoner of Azkaban at the time of its release. He directed easily my favorite dystopian future movie with Children of Men. Now he has directed hands down one of the best sci-fi space thriller I have seen since 2001: A Space Odyssey. Now I'm not saying that it is better than 2001(it's not) but it comes really close. I would like to thank him for writing, producing, editing and directing one of the most intense films that I have seen in a while. You have sent me in a fantastic journey through space. You have written some of the most intense scenes in sci-fi history. For showing us an accurate representation of what can happen when we are faced in these impossible situations to survive space.

But mostly, I want to personally thank you for making me believe that cinematic masterpiece can still be possible from directors other than Christopher Nolan. For reviving my love for film once again, as I was starting to forget that film is what makes me happy. I have never felt my love and passion for the film genre that inspires me to become a film director. The last film that I felt like that was when I experienced The Dark Knight in 2008, where my dreams in becoming a film director began. You have inspired me to continue my pursuit in a career in a film industry. Seeing a Mexican director, someone from my own race and culture, deliver one of the greatest cinematic achievements that I have seen, makes me proud to be a Mexican film aficionado. I know that you may never read this, or that anyone may not read this, but thank you for bringing my love to fight for my dreams come back.

Gravity doesn't deserve Awesometacular. It delivers something higher than that. This film is the most intense, thrilling, masterfully directed and visually stunning sci-fi thriller that I have seen since 2001: A Space Odyssey. But mostly, it made me proud to be a Mexican film aficionado and to pursue my dreams of a film career. Gravity is undeniably a MASTERPIECE.


The author's comments:
Gravity doesn't deserve Awesometacular. It delivers something higher than that. This film is the most intense, thrilling, masterfully directed and visually stunning sci-fi thriller that I have seen since 2001: A Space Odyssey. But mostly, it made me proud to be a Mexican film aficionado and to pursue my dreams of a film career. Gravity is undeniably a MASTERPIECE