Insidious: Chapter 2 | Teen Ink

Insidious: Chapter 2 MAG

By matthew.fine8 GOLD, Staten Island, New York
matthew.fine8 GOLD, Staten Island, New York

You hear noises and voices that you shouldn't be hearing. Doors are opening, and the piano is playing. Suspicious things are happening. You thought these problems had been solved a long time ago. “Insidious: Chapter 2” will make you feel like these events are really happening.

In this sequel to “Insidious,” the Lambert family pursues the secret that left them alarmingly connected with the spirit world, even after this seemed to be resolved in the first movie. This film is terrifically terrifying and considerably better than the first one.

This surprisingly outstanding paranormal thriller continues where “Insidious” left off. (Spoiler alert: Do not read this if you haven't seen the original. I reveal the ending of the first movie in order to describe the plot of the sequel.) Dalton Lambert (Ty Simpkins) has stopped traveling to the spirit world. The Lambert family's problems were supposedly resolved, except for the fact that Dalton's father, Josh (Patrick Wilson), doesn't return to his body at the end of the first movie. The second movie builds on this when Dalton's mother, Renai (Rose Byrne), sees strange things going on in the house. It's time for the Lamberts to call the “ghost-busters,” Specs and Tucker (Leigh Whannell and Angus Sampson)! The family desperately wants to disconnect from the universe of the dead.

I was afraid that “Insidious: Chapter 2” wouldn't maintain the story line from the first, but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought “Insidious” was terrible, not scary at all, and boring. However, I was eager to see what would happen in the sequel. And I'm glad I did. The plot was interesting, and kept me on the edge of my seat. I was also excited for the return of Elise Rainier (Lin Shaye), even if it was just her ghost.

The protagonist, Josh, is now the antagonist because it's not really him inside his body. Where he was once sensitive and protective of his wife and children, now he's dark and intimidating. The ghost-busters are my favorite characters, because they make serious scenes funny. For instance, when Carl (Steve Coulter), an older ghost-buster from Josh's past, comes to help, Specs and Tucker argue over what the code word should be, deciding on “quesadilla.”

“Insidious: Chapter 2” isn't your typical horror movie. There are jump scares and frightening scenes, but it's more of a paranormal thriller than a regular horror or slasher movie. This movie will appeal to viewers who don't particularly like horror, since it's basically spooky and eerie, which I prefer over constant screams. It is disturbing, but in a good way.

The music also makes the movie creepy. Composer Joseph Bishara does a marvelous job. He and director James Wan incorporate ominous music, such as a sinister version of “Row, Row, Row Your Boat.” The effects aren't great, and the camera angles make the movie look low-budget, but the demons look real. The actors are great, especially when expressing fear.

“Insidious: Chapter 2” is substantially better than the first. And of course, the ending perfectly sets up the next installment, which is already in production. Be careful and remember – don't disturb the dead!