Ray This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Music has always been an important factor in my family’s life. Growing up, I listened attentively to my dad playing his guitar and watched my sister’s hands gracefully moving up and down the piano keys. Today, we rarely pay much attention to the guitar in the corner or the piano in our living room. Watching one movie, however, changed all that for us.

We went to see “Ray,” starring Jamie Foxx in his Academy Award-winning performance. It was filled with laughter, tears, comedy and drama, but most importantly it was filled with music. In almost every scene someone rocked away on the piano or strummed on the guitar. It was filled with the heart, soul and love for music that my family once had shared.

Coming home after this inspirational movie, something amazing happened. My dad and I were drawn to our guitars, while my sister went to the piano. We all started playing. “Ray” had inspired us to fill our hearts with the love and soul of music that we had lost. I never thought that a movie could impact my life, but I was proven wrong after seeing “Ray.”