Hotel Rwanda This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“You do not think you can kill themall?”
“Why not? We’re half-way therealready.” - From “HotelRwanda”

“Hotel Rwanda” is an excruciatinglytruthful and harsh docu-drama addressing the Rwandan genocide in 1994.After the Belgian conquest, the Rwandans were split into two ethnicgroups: the Hutu and Tutsi. For a time, the minority Tutsi ruled andoppressed the Hutu, but when power reversed, the majority Hutu vowed toexterminate all Tutsi blood.

“Hotel Rwanda” tellsthe story of Paul Rusesabagina (Don Cheadle), a moderate Hutu hotelmanager whose life deteriorates as violence and hatred take over hisnation. Although he is relatively safe, his Tutsi wife, family andneighbors face life-threatening conditions that shatter all safety intheir lives.

Paul’s elite Hotel des Milles Collines servesas a refugee camp for his family, neighbors and hundreds of otherTutsis. Their lives are in danger with every breath they take, but theyfeel blessed compared to those who are dragged from their homes,brutally killed, or sold into prostitution.

Paul becomesresponsible for the hundreds of desperate lives in his hotel and relieson the prospect of international intervention. When he learns there willbe no help, Paul must take matters into his own hands. Using bribery andsmooth talk, he maneuvers around violence to overcome the devastatingconditions and lead his people to safety.

This film is shockingand disturbing because it relates a true story of recent humansuffering. It reminds us of a “forgotten” genocide oftenneglected in school curricula. Perhaps this movie is most powerfulbecause it follows the struggles of a small group ofRwandans.

“Hotel Rwanda” is “real” to theaudience and informative about the tribal conflict and tragedy. Withremarkable performances and presentation of one of the most tragicevents of our time, this courageous film will make any audience burnwith anger at the unimaginable circumstances the protagonist must dealwith.

WriterHeadThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 11:23 pm:
This is a very good movie. I first watched it when i was in like 3rd or 4th grade. Then I watched it again this year in my American Civics class.

Kinyarwanda said...
Your review is well-written. Hotel Rwanda is a good movie but the people of Rwanda do not feel it portrays what happened accurately. The man who owned the hotel turned anyone away who couldn't pay for protection. Sometimes in April is more accurate, but a new movie called Kinyarwanda, produced by a Rwandan, focuses on forgiveness and is the best movie I've seen about the genocide.

callie15 said...
Mar. 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm:
it's the strangest thing, my class was just learning about the Rwanda genocide and we watched this movie in class. it was a great movie and i highly recommend it. it really just makes you think how considerate are we to other countries and their problems.

starlight26 said...
YES. This was an extremely sad movie.. I felt like crying but the tears wouldn't come out because I was overwhemed with fright for the people there. Great interpretations of the misunderstandings. It made you realize the seriousness that humans can clash, racially discriminating each other for who we are and eventually killing one another. Hotel Rwanda shows this so strongly it makes you want to tell the characters that they are wrong. Anyways, the main characters thrive in realizing the meaning... (more »)