Thirteen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Have you ever done something that would make you fit in? Sure, every typical teen has, but 13-year-old Tracy takes things a bit too far. Starting as a goody-two shoes, she is totally corrupted by the popular and sexy Evie Zamora.

Tracy tires of not getting any attention, so she ditches her real friends and gets entangled with the fast-paced Evie. Through her, Tracy is introduced to sex, drugs and crime. It starts with shoplifting and escalates to the use of cocaine and serious theft. Evie then moves into Tracy’s home, where she takes Tracy’s last bit of innocence. After many wild escapades, Tracy is in for the surprise of her life.

Evan Rachel Wood does an excellent job with the role of Tracy. She is able to tap into her own experiences and recreate them on the screen for viewers. Wood completely satisfies the requirements even though this is only her second film role. Nikki Reed as Evie also gives the perfect visualization of what is happening, while maintaining that innocent look when Tracy’s mother comes around.

“Thirteen” is a great film and one that most of us can relate to while also learning a beneficial lesson: even though you may not feel comfortable with yourself, it’s always better to accept who you are. This is the real message of “Thirteen.”