Paranormal Activity This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

We’ve all been in this scenario at some point in our lives. You’ve clicked off your light, you’re getting under your covers, and you’re just about to close your eyes, when suddenly… bam! An echo of some loud noise in your house resounds everywhere. Your mind starts racing, covering every possibility that could have caused the noise. And when your mind runs out of reasons, you can only assume one thing; there’s something paranormal around.

The now famous Paranormal Activity originally set out to discover the cause of these bump-in-the-night instances. The film centers on a young couple, Micah Sloat and Katie Featherston, who have just moved into their suburban San Diego dream house. For the first few nights, everything seems to be normal enough, but after Katie reveals to Micah that she’s had paranormal experiences in her past, he sets up a video camera to tape them as they sleep. And that’s where things really begin to escalate.

The movie centers around a nightly basis, the entirety of the film spanning about three weeks total. During this time, the spiritual presence in the house becomes far more active, moving bed sheets and whispering Katie’s name while she sleeps. Distraught, Micah and Katie resort to a psychic, Dr. Fredriches, who then informs them that the entity is solely after Katie, and is not in fact a ghost, but a demon. The news hits Katie especially hard, but it only further fuels Micah’s want to capture the malicious spirit on film. This creates a high amount of tension between the two, and in turn, gives the demon more negative energy to feed off of, allowing for more activity to occur.

Paranormal Activity is a very special kind of scary movie, in that it doesn’t try incredibly hard to make itself seem frightening. It focuses on the subtlest of things, like strange shadows and slight movements, rather than over-the-top jump scares. But the most terrifying aspect of this film is that it feels real. There aren’t any scenes in the movie where something seems out of place or disjointed. Everything flows incredibly well, and in a disturbingly real way, making the viewer question just what lies in their own house.

As a whole, Paranormal Activity hits every button perfectly. The scares are fantastic, the story is intriguing, and the setting is so eerily real that it will send chills through any seasoned horror-movie aficionado. If you haven’t seen this movie yet, and are a fan of the horror genre, Paranormal Activity is an absolute must-watch. Just be sure to leave the lights on.