The Great Gatsby | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby

By Jiwon Lee SILVER, Fort Lee, New Jersey
Jiwon Lee SILVER, Fort Lee, New Jersey

The Great Gatsby is based on the 1925 classic novel, written by renown author F. Scott Fitzgerald. This film meticulously portrays important themes such as power, greed, betrayal, and the true meaning of living the American Dream. Directed by Baz Luhrmann, The Great Gatsby takes place in the time period of the Roaring Twenties in America. The story is told through the eyes of the narrator, Nick Carraway, who is played by Toby Maguire. Nick Carraway moves to New York City, residing next to the wealthy, Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) in West Egg, Long Island. However, right across the bay in East Egg, lives the former lover of Gatsby, Daisy (Carey Mulligan) who is now married to the rich and extravagant, Tom Buchanan (Joel Edgerton). As Nick Carraway and Jay Gatsby start to slowly become friends, Nick finds out that Jay Gatsby and Daisy share a twisted romantic past. Will Jay Gatsby be able to win over the beautiful and poised, Daisy Buchanan? Or will someone get in the way?
I recommend The Great Gatsby to anyone who likes a movie that has it all- romance, drama, and suspenseful action. At first, I thought the movie was boring and very slow in getting to the main plot. However, forty minutes into the film, I found myself glued to the edge of my chair. The cast of The Great Gatsby did an exceptional job of portraying each character the way the novel describes them. Personally, I felt the best part of the movie was the unpredictable, action-packed ending. The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite movies because there are many components such as romance and suspense, all rolled up into one film. This is a great movie for people who love watching drama unfold right before their eyes. Experience the thrill of watching one of America’s greatest novels come to life on the screen.

The Great Gatsby proves to be an exceptional film!