Movie Review of Fruitvale Station | Teen Ink

Movie Review of Fruitvale Station

September 10, 2013
By J-Dub BRONZE, Martinsburg, West Virginia
J-Dub BRONZE, Martinsburg, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Movie Review: Fruitvale Station
The world known story of the shooting at Fruitvale Station is now on the big screen. This movie is about the victim of an injustice at the BART station in Bay, California. It reflects the last days of Oscar Grant, and gave the viewers a little history of his past decisions. Determined to begin his New Year’s resolutions, he tries to erase his reputation of being the typical stereotype of African American men. The twenty-two year old male attempts by being a better son, a better boyfriend, and a better father to his daughter. Going out for a little fun on New Year’s Eve quickly turned into a huge controversy that would sweep the nation one news report at a time. Fruitvale Station made the world stop and look in the mirror a second time and see how this story applied to everyone. African Americans are not the only people who relate to this issue.
This movie was very life changing for me. I could very well relate to Oscar Grant. I may not be an African American male, but I am an African American female. Being born a darker shade than society expects everyone to look like is very difficult at times especially because so many injustices are taking place. You would believe that police would be trying to protect everyone, but there are still a few who only limit their compassion to those who look like them. Don’t get me wrong, I love my country, but seeing this movie made me realize that I am not alone in this downgrade we call racism. Nobody is perfect, however everyone deserves a chance to be proud of whom they are. Oscar Grant’s death will always remain in my memory. I recommend this movie to anyone who wants see how America’s people still need some improvement.


The author's comments:
8th grade Computer Project