Jarhead This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It has an odd title, to be sure, but I promise “Jarhead” is a great movie, one of the best I have seen!

Even if you you don’t particularly like war movies, you will like this one. It is a true account of what happened in the Gulf War to Marine Anthony Swofford and stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Jamie Foxx and Peter Sarsgaard.

Even though I’m too young to remember the Gulf War and I don’t like war in general, I loved this movie. Maybe it’s because I know a few soldiers who have spent time in Iraq recently, but this movie definitely deepens my respect for all members of the military.

As I write this, they are struggling with all sorts of things that we can’t even imagine: unbearable heat and cold; being away from family; living in a war zone; dealing with fear - the list goes on and just confirms that they deserve a load of respect. I don’t think I could do it. I wanted to, but I’m not sure I could handle it. We can all handle seeing the movie, though, so if you are even thinking about going to see it, you really should.