Rent This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Turning a Broadway musical into a film has happened before, but not like this. “Rent,” based on Puccini’s opera La Bohème, is one of those inspiring films where you will leave singing “525,600 Minutes” all the way home.

With a tragic love story, a diverse group of eight friends, and a moving portrayal of the struggles of life in New York City, this film is one of the best out there. Anything that can be experienced in life is found in this movie. Characters collide and the events that follow show that anything can happen. With inspirational lyrics and beautiful vocals, you feel the struggles of these young bohemians trying to make it in the tough city.

The eight friends include Roger, an HIV-positive musician and recovering heroin addict; Mark, an aspiring film maker; Maureen, Mark’s bisexual ex-girlfriend; Tom Collins, an HIV-positive teacher who is a friend of both Roger and Mark; Angel, Tom’s HIV-positive drag queen/musician lover; Benny, Mark and Roger’s landlord; Mimi, an HIV-positive dancer and heroin user; and Joanne, Maureen’s girlfriend. Is your head spinning?

They all have grand hopes and dreams, but the reality of just coming up with rent money keeps them grounded in the harsh reality of New York life.

Rosario Dawson plays Mimi and has the perfect style and voice for a character of rebellion. At 19, Mimi falls desperately in love with Roger. Played by Adam Pascal, Roger has rough outer edges but deep inside can see the love in Mimi’s eyes. Their love story is tragic but inspires everlasting friendships.

This movie lets the viewers live their dreams, too. It is exceptionally produced with an interesting script, unforeseen conflicts and diverse characters. Viewers can relate to the struggles since we all have them in one form or another.

Seeing “Rent” on the big screen will inspire you to go after your dreams and live them. You can be who you are and people will accept you for exactly that. As they say in the film, “There’s no day but today” so “measure your life in love.” .

renthead101 said...
Thank you!!! I am a total renthead and was dissaponted to see that there was not many articles about rent on Teen Ink...The reveiw was very well written!