Match Point This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Match Point” is an instant classic. This irresistibly stunning film kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. At first it seems predictable, but it has a rather astounding outcome. It is refreshing to witness such exquisite filmmaking.

Directed by Woody Allen in his best work to date, the film is set in England and stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Scarlett Johansson, who both deliver incredibly convincing performances. Chris Wilton (Rhys Meyers) is a tennis pro at an elite tennis club. After he befriends member Tom Hewett (Matthew Goode), he is introduced to Hewett’s sister, Chloe (Emily Mortimer). Chris and Chloe begin dating and are soon engaged.

Then, Chris encounters the attractive Nola Rice (Johansson) and is intrigued, but he is engaged. She is engaged as well, to Tom. This does not stop Chris from thinking about her, and he begins planning double-dates with Tom just to be around her. This attraction escalates into a brief affair, which Nola ends because of her engagement. Later, Chris is forced to make a difficult choice between a secure life with his wife and an exciting one with Nola. An unexpected incident occurs and for the rest of the movie, you are captivated as you attempt to predict the outcome.

“Match Point” is the most outstanding movie of the year. It is not merely the story that is so remarkable, but the way it is conveyed is sheer brilliance. This memorable film sets the standards extremely high for future films and is sure to leave a lasting mark on the genre, as well as on its audience. I urge anyone who wants to see a first-rate, suspenseful, edge-of-your-seat drama to see this brilliant work of genius.