Hustle & Flow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk ... when it comes time for them to walk the walk, you know what they do? They talk people like me into walkin’ for them.” Watching “Hustle & Flow” took away 115 minutes of my life. Despite the good acting, the storyline was downright awful. In the end it’s still about a pimp having a midlife crisis.

DJay (Terrence Howard) is the guy who doesn’t really have much except for his quick temper and a few girls. After running into an old school friend, Key (Anthony Anderson), DJay decides he wants to make something more of his life. Before, he was scraping pennies, making deals and trades, which eventually got him to his dream: to become a rapper. When everything starts to look good for him, he finds himself in a crisis.

Most critics liked this movie and had good things to say about it. Even though I thought the storyline wasn’t that great, the message was good: “Follow your dreams.” This is the tagline of the movie. So, maybe children and young teens can be inspired to follow their dreams by this film, but there are more appropriate options.

This movie is rated R.