The Producers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A riotous comedy, a quirky musical, a clever satire - can a movie be all three at once? Apparently it’s possible, since this combination is created in the big-screen adaptation of the Mel Brooks musical “The Producers.” The film is a snazzy, clever mix of well-written musical numbers, biting one-liners, and a hilarious story.

Anchored by a stellar cast that includes Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick and Uma Thurman, “The Producers” is the story of washed-out Broadway producer Max Bialystock (Lane) and shy accountant Leo Bloom (Broderick) who team up to make a killing producing the biggest Broadway flop ever.

Of course, the two face significant trouble along the way. In order to make their plan a success, they must find the worst play ever written - and find it they do, in the form of “Springtime for Hitler” by a fanatical Nazi named Franz Liebkind (Will Ferrell). Bialystock and Bloom must then hire the worst director, a dramatic queen named Roger DeBris (Gary Beach), who has a penchant for keeping all of his musicals gay.

Add to the mix a sexy Swedish secretary named Ulla (Thurman), a horde of little old ladies throwing themselves shamelessly at Max Bialystock, and a most unexpected reaction from the audience to “Springtime for Hitler,” and you get a pitch-perfect, appropriate, and funny ending. It makes you feel as though you just saw the musical on Broadway itself.