United 93 | Teen Ink

United 93 MAG

“United 93” is a breath-taking and heart-wrenching movie about the horrible attacks on September 11, 2001. When I saw the previews on TV, I begged my parents to take me. I wanted to witness what people believe happened on that fourth plane that never reached its target, and to the passengers who never made it home.

While waiting for the movie to start, I wondered what it would be like. I thought I knew the basic facts but when the movie began I was shocked. The men who were going to kill all those innocent people were ... praying. These men were acting on their convictions, misguided though they were.

As the movie progressed, my thoughts never slowed. One scene showed a terrorist calling his family and expressing his love for them. He appeared uneasy throughout the movie, helping me realize that giving up his life was not easy for him. This man, who seemed the most emotional, was the one who crashed the plane.

The passengers of United 93 who tried to stop the attack became some of America's greatest heroes, which is fitting. The most emotional scene for me is after the passengers kill the first two terrorists and make it into the cockpit with the two remaining hijackers. This scene is unbearably heart-wrenching because the passengers were so close to saving everyone on the plane. As the two groups fight for the controls, they all pray to the same god for help. It made me wonder why it was the terrorists' prayers that were answered.

The last part of the movie shows the passengers calling home and telling their families they love them and will miss them. When the movie ended, not one person in the sold-out theater spoke a word. We were all shocked into silence. I was left wondering why the terrorists had to take so many innocent lives to show their loyalty to God. What was going through everyone's minds when this was happening? The answers to these questions will never be known.

Before seeing this movie I was unable to imagine the men who hijacked United Flight 93. I was unable to fathom that they were fathers, husbands, brothers, sons, uncles and friends. I always thought of them just as angry people who wanted revenge. I realize now that the terrorists were human and doing what they thought was right, even though that does not make what they did right.

People say everything happens for a reason, so why did this happen? I don't think we will ever know. The toughest realization was that I can't say “United 93” is a movie. It isn't, it is a part of history.

i love this so much!